There are literally thousands upon thousands of web design companies actively and expertly crafting websites today; for someone who is looking at hiring one to build a business’ or organisation’s site for the first time, the choice is often mind boggling. Here are a few of the more important items to help in choosing the right web design company.
If you’ve laid out the proper information that your future web design company will need, such as the site’s goals, target audience and other useful organisational information, then it’s time to look at a few agencies to assist with building a site. You can easily search for them online, or ask reliable colleagues for suggestions. The list of candidates can start out fairly lengthy, but it’s sure to narrow down after looking into these five factors:
1. Web Design Portfolio. Every established web design company has one, and if one doesn’t, then chances are the company isn’t all that established. When evaluating a company’s portfolio and of course, the individual websites within it, try asking yourself the following questions:
2. Testimonials and Client Feedback. Testimonials are another excellent factor to consider, but don’t simply rely on the ones from the company’s page. Don’t hesitate to ask for references and then follow up and learn about their experiences. Speaking with previous as well as current web clients about their relationships with a web design company is definitely worthwhile. Try asking these types of questions:
3. Initial Investment. This is no doubt that this an important factor to consider when selecting a web design firm. You could find a top notch Sydney web design company with an impeccable portfolio of gorgeous looking websites that are ranking at the top of search engine results pages, only to realise that you do not possess the initial investment capital required to engage with the firm.
The goal is to find a web design company with considerable expertise in the various areas of website development, search engine optimisation, and online marketing, all while staying within the size of your investment. Essentially, a company that practices sensible web design. On the flipside, your budget should not act as the sole or primary determinant when selecting a web designer, as this can also lead to problems. Oftentimes, a tempting and unbelievably cheap offer will deliver exactly what you might expect: a cheap looking website and poor results.
Costs can vary widely from one web design company to another. Typical structures include fixed rates, hourly, or per page. An important step to take with regards to these factors is to make sure you obtain either a fixed price or a definitive range for all the work. Clarify each company’s billing method, compare prices, and obtain all of these in writing before making a deal.
4. Expertise. After assessing the first three factors, your list of possible firms should shrink. Now is a decent time to learn more about those still on your list. When you find the time, give the companies a call or set up appointments to know them better, and gauge their levels of expertise on important areas like search engine optimisation, browser compatibility, load time, interactive content, HTML code, etc. Not all of these are required for every website, but established web designers should communicate considerable knowledge in these areas, and not just dwell on the aesthetic elements of a website.
5. Chemistry. This may come as a surprise and many people take this for granted, but it is crucial that you are able to interact effectively with the people in the web company you hire. A decent amount of time and effort is spent in developing a website, and this involves efficient communications with your website designer. Thus also establishing a simple working relationship and trust is key. Hiring the most distinguished agency is not worth much if at the heart of it all, communications with the people you’re working with are ineffective. So along with all other factors, make sure the web designer selected is one that is a nice fit for your communication preferences.
Choosing the most appropriate web design company amongst the thousands may seem like a herculean task at the moment, but if you know what you want, stick to it and take note of these five factors then you are already well on your way to selecting the right website designer for your company’s needs in no time. Remember, that much like anything, selecting the appropriate firm is not simple, but spending time upfront to select the appropriate web agency can save an enormous number of future headaches.
1800 981 442