If you’re like many business owners, you probably realise that content marketing is an essential part of your digital marketing strategy, yet you might be unsure how to leverage your content to its greatest advantage. Or not sure what kind of content you should be creating. Or even which topics to cover.
Successful content marketing is about much more than just throwing up a blog post a few times a week, and hoping it will generate traffic. Successful content marketing is part of an overall digital marketing strategy, and includes a variety of content types – this is the content marketing mix.
What is the purpose of content marketing?
In its simplest terms, the purpose of content marketing is to generate more business. How you achieve this will depend on your brand’s personality and your business goals. An important point to remember is that each piece of content should have one primary purpose, be it to inform, entertain, or generate leads. Keeping it concise and clearly defined improves your chances of success. Goals for your content marketing strategy may include:
- To establish expertise in a particular market.
- To connect with your customers and build community.
- To create or enhance the perception of your brand.
- To increase your website's organic ranking and generate traffic to your website.
- To inform and persuade the customer to purchase from your business.
You can use a variety of platforms, most commonly a business blog, Facebook, Twitter, Linked In and Pinterest. Which social media platforms work best for you is dependent on your business and audience.
What is a content marketing mix?
When you think of content marketing, you might think ‘article’ or ‘blog post’. But these should form only one part of your content marketing mix. Depending on your goals, different types of content works in different contexts. Common content types include:
- Original blog posts and articles. These are a great way to establish your expertise and knowledge and the capabilities of your products and/or services. Hosting a blog on your website can significantly increase traffic to your website and help your organic SEO efforts.
- Infographics. If your goal is to inform quickly in an easily digestible way, infographics are an ideal and highly viral content method. A well-presented infographic will be shared far and wide and give your business excellent reach and exposure.
- Videos. Videos are a popular way of engaging your client base and are perfect for informational or 'how to' posts.
- Podcasts. Podcasts are convenient and easily digestible and your customers can download and listen at their leisure.
- Cartoons and memes. Interspersing funny, entertaining content can be an excellent way to increase engagement and sharing of your content. Although care must be taken, as the humour must be appropriate for your target market!
- Curated content. Finding the best, most relevant content in your market (not created by you) and sharing it to social media positions you as a source of high quality information, and can establish your brand as a thought leader in your field. Curated content also has a very low time overhead, and requires very little effort to share and distribute.
And as with all methods of marketing, your content marketing mix should be tested and measured. Take note of which posts generate the most comment. Check your metrics to see which content results in more visits to your website. Your content marketing mix is ever evolving, and continual monitoring and evaluating the success or otherwise of your content will allow you to refine your strategy, and determine the correct mix for your brand.
If you’d like help with your content marketing mix, talk to us.