List in Google Within Weeks
You simply need to visit http://www.google.com/addurl/ and submit your domain name. If you are a customer of The Web Showroom we have already done this for you.
Be Patient! It can take anywhere from 1 week - 8 weeks before your website is actually listed by Google. The best way to be picked up quickly by Google is to have a link to your website placed on a website that already appears in Google.
List in Yahoo!7 Australia
The various options for submitting your website to Yahoo!7 can be found here http://search.yahoo.com/info/submit.html.
List in NineMSN (Live Search)
This is Australia's 3rd most popular search engine. Submit your website by following the instructions on this page http://search.live.com/docs/submit.aspx as shown below.
Getting Listed in Other Search Engines
There are thousands of search engines around the internet. I can hear you muttering - "I only know of 3". The reality is that despite there being thousands, the top 3 search engines (Google, Yahoo, Microsoft) command over 95.85% of searches in Australia every month (Hitwise January 2008). It doesn't matter how well you rank on the other 4.15% you need to focus on the "big 3" in the Australian market.
Once you have done all you can in the "Big 3" you can consider spending a small amount of time ensuring your website is in ask.com, WebWombat.com.au and other smaller search engines.
Yellow Pages - Why This Matters For Australian Website Owners
In the "good old" days a business could rely on a well positioned Yellow Pages advertisement to ensure a steady stream of customers for the year ahead. I am sure that some businesses still work like this, but the number must be shrinking each and every year. In the late 1990's the internet revolution arrived and customers started to turn to the internet to locate information. The result of this has been the decline in importance of offline directories such as the Yellow Pages. It was obvious that the Yellow Pages would make the transition online in an attempt to retain market share. The result is a portal of some importance in the Australian market.
Much like the offline version, all companies can get listed in the Yellow Pages for free. But the result is a simple listing that is unlikely to receive much attention. A paid listing is clickable, thus leading to a more detailed page about the business. It also contains search terms in the header.
Once a paid listing is clicked on, it shows a range of information that is created by the business owner.
Depending on how much you pay for your listing you can target a certain range of postcodes and various other options to ensure better visibility of your listing. It is best to contact the YellowTM Sales Team to discuss your options: www.yellowadvertising.com.au.
Getting Exposure on Sensis & Telstra
As you may be aware, Sensis is Telstra's wholly owned advertising and directories arm. Sensis publishes the White Pages, Yellow Pages and also the Trading Post. Sensis also owns websites such as WhereIs, CitySearch, GoStay and Just Listed. They operate a search engine at www.sensis.com.au and this engine can also be found at the top of most Sensis websites such as Yellow Pages and the Trading Post.
This engine definitely falls outside of the really big players and doesn't warrant a huge amount of attention. However, to submit your website follow this link: http://www.sensis.com.au/
Sensis also offers a pay-per-click program called Sensis BidSmart® that is covered a little further on.
True Local Can Generate Leads
True Local is a website owned by News Corporation. It is a business directory that allows users to search for particular business types in their local area. Being listed in True Local means you appear on True Local itself, Google Maps, Yahoo!7 and 3 mobile. You can have your website included in the True Local directory for free, but like Yellow Pages you can pay for a priority listing. More information can be found here: http://www.truelocal.com.au/cms/business-centre.